Thursday 10 January 2013

2013

Hello 2013! It's the New Year and I don't feel any different from 2012. Except older.

I haven't been up to much in the new year. School is starting soon and I'm spending all my time alternating between work and indulging in my favourite activity. What's that? Oh, just staying at home as long as possible without coming into contact with the outside world. To quote Sheldon Cooper, "I'm a fan of anything that tries to replace human contact" I think half a year spent in a quiet town that people felt was "boring" has made a severe impact on me. I knew I disliked the city when I picked my exchange university, but my choice just cemented it. You don't know peace until you can spend the entire night without hearing a single car or motorcycle pass by. All I need is a supermarket, a movie theatre and McDonalds and I'm set. I can stay in that town and do my shopping online.

Sometimes I really wonder why I'm blogging when I don't do much other than stay at home and read. I'm happily making a dent in the pile I bought earlier this year. I usually don't lose my cool at clothes or shoes and I really baulk when I have to spend money on them. But I usually lose all sense of rationality when I see cheap books. I cannot and will not resist. Is this how other women feel when they see beautiful shoes and have a need to get it even if it's not in their size or it's too expensive? Because I feel you sister! By "pile I bought earlier this year", I would like to add that it's not my coursework. In late 2012, I went to Somerset to buy concert tickets from HMV (SPECTOR WOOHOO!) and passed by Harris having a closing down sale. Before Harris was Harris, it used to be Planerds (really) and sold comic books and merchandise. I really like comic books and I like books aka everything Harris sells. Their closing down sale was basically every book going for $5. I walked away with one stack of trade paperbacks that day (They usually go for more than $20+ LOOK AT HOW MUCH I SAVED!) and a couple of paperbacks I found. I think it was one of the happiest shopping experiences of my life. I've always been disappointed with warehouse sales so this was an amazing surprise.

Back to 2013. On the second day of the new year, I had an amazing supper experience at Swee Choon. Sad to say, I can't drive and I stay in a pretty secluded area (somewhat) and have a severe lack of supper buddies. I like food and I tend to get hungry really quickly. So on that wonderful day, Peng got a car and she picked all of us up. (Four of us) I'm going to say that Peng lives in the East..ish area and the three of us are scattered in the West..after she picked us up, we went back to Swee Choon (Central area). She almost drove around the whole of Singapore that night. Hence this,

"ROADTRIP"

On the way back home, I was really happy that I had such wonderful friends. Honestly, who would want to drive for nearly 45 minutes just to pick up people to have supper? That's pretty inconvenient with McDonalds' Delivery (You Singaporeans have no idea how lucky we are to have this service btw)

Because we got back pretty late, the roads were really empty so I got a wonderful look of the city lights on the drive back. There are many things I don't enjoy about this country, but I've got to admit, the city looks wonderful at night.


It's back to school next week for me D: I'm going to really miss bumming around. Also, I really miss learning French. Unfortunately, due to timetable conflicts, I can't take French again for the third sem in a row. I'm up to the last level of French that's offered in school and because of the low demand, there's only one class. Somehow, every sem, I have core mods that clash with the French class. Sigh. I hope an avenue of opportunity opens up before I graduate. Yes, I know, it's GPA suicide etc but I really love languages. It's so fun! I'm also really proud of how I managed to sustain my language ability and bring three different people to France on different occasions and managed to bring them around. I think the feeling you get when you spend so much time learning a language and you finally get to speak to the locals/they compliment you on your ability/they understand you(!!) is a feeling that's really hard to beat. Meanwhile, my language adventures will continue in the form of Japanese yay!


No comments:

Post a Comment