Thursday 27 December 2012

Ho ho ho hopefully

Merry Christmas everybody! Okay, fine. It's past Boxing Day already but who cares! I'm not somebody that's really big on Christmas. I've never really gotten into the Christmas spirit or what not, even as a kid. And now, Christmas to me means Christmas Specials! (YAY BRITISH TELEVISION!) Except the Christmas specials this year weren't up to mark. My favourite television show, Doctor Who, was slightly predictable. It's not because I need to warm up to a new companion but I think the plots, lines and characters are getting a little boring. Hopefully the season will pick up.

 This is unlike Downton Abbey which has disappointed me so greatly that I no longer see any point in continuing with the show. My ship has sunk beyond repair and has now become Charon's boat in the Underworld. It has been a good few years Downton. Thanks for teaching me how to feel but this episode was the last straw. Unless you're George R. R. Martin, you don't go around killing off main characters that quickly. The only reason he can do that is because he has a solid plot to fall back on, Downton, however, doesn't.

Anyway, back to Christmas. It's always a little hard to get into the Christmas spirit for me. The weather is as warm as always. There's no snow and there's not much joy in drinking hot beverages. Where is the joy in mulled wine and hot spiced apple juice in this warm weather? We do have frightful weather but there's no way anybody will say that the fire is cosy. Unless the air-condition unit is named "Fire". Then it would be cosy.

I always watch a couple of movies during Christmas. Whether by myself or with my friends in a Christmas movie marathon, I'll always do it. I've watched a few of them since I was a kid thanks to holiday movies showing on the television and I continue to do so to this day.

Nightmare Before Christmas
What's not to like about this film? I think more than 10 years ago, this film was always shown on Channel 5 or Central (now Okto) past 10pm near Christmas. They seem to have stopped now which is a pity because it's one of those really enjoyable classics. I can see why some kids would be creeped out by it (Hey! Santa came and gave you gifts that would bite you!) but the idea of Sandy Claws and the festivals having their own land always tickled me. I've also heard that on Halloween, they'll celebrate Christmas at Disneyland (with the Nightmare Before Christmas attraction) and they'll celebrate Halloween on Christmas. NEED. WANT. MUST. GO.


Home Alone 1 & 2
This was a holiday staple for me as a kid. It came out around the time I was a kid and I really enjoyed it. I think for a few years all I thought of was how to booby trap my house in case intruders came in. My friends and I all wanted to be Kevin. It plays with the ultimate kid fantasy of being alone without family and yet appeals to the adults with the knowledge that kids can't be left alone. I usually stop with Home Alone 2 : New York. I know they made a new one that's straight to DVD but if it isn't Kevin, it's not what I'll watch. Also the house they used to film Home Alone and the church is still around in Chicago and I really want to visit it someday!


Love Actually
I love this movie! What's not to like? Rowan Atkinson? Colin Firth? Hugh Grant? Emma Thompson? Alan Rickman? EVERYTHING IS AWESOME. I know a lot of people think that the best scene in the movie is this




Okay, it's kinda bittersweet but this.. THIS IS THE BEST SCENE




Unfortunately, this clip didn't show the "Ant or Dec" moment which had me in stitches. Not that the scene above isn't funny. When I first discovered Ant and Dec (Yay Saturday Night Takeover) it took me a really long time to differentiate them...which is really weird seeing how they don't look alike at all. You might've recognised them as the hosts of Britain's Got Talent. They also host a few other shows but I don't think anybody really knows them so..yeah.

So..Merry Christmas ya filthy animals! Enjoy the holidays even if you don't celebrate Christmas and don't drink and drive, drink responsibly etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment